A stroke, or cerebrovascular accident as it is also known, occurs when the blood supply to part of the brain is interrupted or reduced, preventing brain tissue from receiving oxygen and nutrients.
When this happens, brain cells begin to die within minutes. According to the Mayo Clinic, if this situation occurs, it is a medical emergency and treatment should be immediate. Early action can reduce damage and brain damage.
According to the specialists of the portal, the first symptoms or signs that precede a stroke are:
– Difficulty speaking and understanding what others are saying. You may experience confusion, difficulty articulating words or understanding what is said.
– Paralysis or numbness of the face, arm or leg. The person may develop sudden numbness, weakness, or paralysis of the face, arm, or leg. This often affects only one side of the body. If the arm begins to droop, the person may have an effusion, as can one side of the mouth droop when the patient tries to smile.
– Vision problems in one or both eyes. Suddenly, the person may have blurred or blackened vision in one or both eyes, or may see double.
– Headache. A sudden, severe headache that may be accompanied by vomiting, dizziness or altered consciousness may mean you are having a stroke.
– Trouble walking. The patient may trip or lose balance. You may also experience sudden dizziness or loss of coordination.
How to reduce the chances of having a stroke?
One of the best ways to avoid this kind of brain crash is by making healthy lifestyle changes, according to information from the Health portal, and these are the main recommendations:
– Maintaining blood pressure in normal values.
– If the person smokes, it is important to stop doing so.
– Keep blood sugar (glucose) in normal range.
– If you have heart disease, get appropriate treatment.
– Maintaining cholesterol in normal values.
– Maintain a healthy weight.
– Stay active by doing physical activity regularly.
– Eat healthy. Foods rich in potassium should be included, For example. According to a publication of the digital media Business Insidera review of studies focusing on the link between this mineral and stroke found that an increase of 1,000 milligrams of potassium per day reduced the risk of stroke by up to 11%. Foods with antioxidants, fish, oats, soy and monounsaturated fats should also be consumed.
Mediterranean diet to strengthen the brain:
Mediterranean diet include lots of vegetables, fruits, legumes, whole grains, and healthy carb-rich foods like bread, pasta, and brown rice. It also contains moderate amounts of fish, lean white meat and some dairy products. In this type of food, extra virgin olive oil is used for cooking.
These include vegetables, fruits, legumes and nuts. They contain a large amount of vitamins, minerals and fiber. They help prevent cardiovascular disease and some types of cancer.
It is considered one of the healthiest foods because it is a great source of protein, antioxidant compounds and omega-3 essential fatty acids. which reduce the likelihood of suffering from diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s.
It is one of the most complete foods that exist due to its nutrients and protein contribution. In addition, it is a food that makes up the breakfast of thousands thanks to its various ways of preparation.
Cardiologist Francisco Lopez mentioned this on the Mayo Clinic website a healthy person can consume seven eggs per week without increasing risks to the heart or body.