In accordance with Mayo Clinic, a non-profit organization dedicated to clinical practice, education and research, cancer is the second leading cause of death in the world. However, survival rates are increasing for many types of cancer, thanks to advances in screening, treatment and prevention.
Cancer is a disease that occurs when changes in a group of normal cells in the body cause abnormal and uncontrolled growth that results in the formation of a lump called a tumor. and this happens in all cancers except leukemia (cancer of the blood).
Some of the most common cancers, such as breast cancer, cervical cancer, oral cancer and colorectal cancer, have a high chance of cure when detected early and treated according to best practices. In addition to this, there are additional cancer treatments to combat this condition.
In this sense, the web portal Tua Saude points out that sourdough is a fruit that provides an excellent amount of fiber that helps fight cancer. Specifically, the link between the consumption of this fruit and cancer has not yet been scientifically proven, but several studies have investigated its components and their effect on cancer cells.
Likewise, other recent studies have shown that sour soup is rich in acetogenins, which has a cytotoxic effect that is capable of acting directly on cancer cells. In addition, studies have observed that its long-term consumption can generate preventive and therapeutic effects for various types of cancer such as breast, colon, lung and prostate cancer.
It is worth mentioning that soursop, according to the portal Tua Saude, contains a large number of phytochemicals, such as phenolic compounds, alkaloids, acetogenins and essential oils. Also provide some minerals and vitamins, such as potassium, magnesium and vitamin C, which provide various diuretic, sedative, hypoglycemic, hypotensive, antioxidant, antirheumatic, anticancer, anti-inflammatory and antispasmodic properties.
Another benefit that sour soup gives the body is reducing the risk of developing eye diseases such as cataracts and macular degeneration. Its high lutein content also helps prevent vision loss and supports better eye health.
Other benefits of sour soup
- Relieves inflammatory diseases: Containing anti-inflammatory properties, this fruit helps relieve some pains that cause inflammation of the organs. In addition, it is very useful for the direct fight against arthritis and rheumatism.
- Control diabetes: This fruit is rich in fiber, which helps control blood sugar levels. Likewise, it contains large amounts of antioxidants that protect the β-cells of the pancreas for the proper functioning of insulin.
- Reduces anxiety and stress: The alkaloid compounds of sour soup contain relaxing properties that directly affect the nervous system and they increase serotonin, the hormone that improves stress and anxiety levels.
- Improves wound healing: Specifically, sorrel oil applied directly to the skin aids in wound healing by reducing the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines and free radicals.
- Prevents constipation: As one of the richest fruits in water and fiber, it favors intestinal function and Supports the formation and elimination of fecal bolus.
How to consume it?
Tua Saude shows that this fruit can be eaten raw or used in desserts, juices, smoothies and ice cream. Although it can also be made as a natural tea by steeping a few dried sorrel leaves in a liter of boiling water. When the drink reaches the boiling point, it should be allowed to stand for later consumption.