Reduce the accident rate on roads and cities has become one of the main objectives of DGT. For this purpose, in addition to punishments and fines, the GDP is increasingly tightening the Law on Traffic, the movement of motor vehicles and the safety of road traffic.
Renewing our driver’s license may cost us more than the last time due to the limitations that diseases can cause for the development of this activity. Like the National ID, we have to renew our card every ten years. During this period, our physical or mental health may be affected and make it impossible for us to renew our driver’s license.
For its renewal, it is not necessary to take an exam, but only undergo a medical examination. You can carry out the renewal at the Medical Examination Center, where you will make the necessary psychophysical fitness report. In addition, you can do the renewal of your permit at DGT provision of a psychophysical ability report issued by the authorized driver recognition center.
What are the diseases?
they exist different types of diseases which may prevent us from renewing the driver’s license and therefore completing this task.
- Cardiac arrhythmias.
- Acute myocardial infarction: at least six months must have passed since its occurrence.
- Cardiac revascularization surgery: it must have been more than a month since the surgery.
- Pacemaker wearers: after one month of implantation, the pacemaker is valid for three years.
- Prosthetic heart valves: it must have been at least six months since it happened.
- Aneurysms in large vessels: if there is a risk of rupture, assessed by a surgeon, it is a debilitating disease. In case of receiving a favorable report, authorization will be required to renew the card between 1 and 10 years.
- Dissection: after six months have passed since the operation, a medical clearance may allow the patient to receive a card for a limited period of time, between 1 and 2 years.
- Sleep apnea: obtaining a driver’s license will require a medical report, which may only be valid for three years.
- Persistent dyspnea at rest or with mild exertion: the card cannot be renewed under any circumstances.
- Diabetes with insulin or drug treatment: patients suffering from this disease must renew their card regularly, between 1 and 5 years.
- Parathyroidism under treatment: they must renew the card between 1 and 10 years.
- Adrenal gland disorders.
- Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism under treatment: people suffering from this disease must renew the card between 1 and 10 years.
- Dialysis Nephropathy: A positive medical report will be required.
- Kidney transplant: it must have been more than six months since the surgery and have not presented any kind of subsequent problem.
- Delusions, dementias and anxiety disorders.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder.
- Catatonic or personality disorders.
- Sleep disorder.
- Disorder of intellectual development.
- Drug or alcohol abuse and dependence.
Chronic or degenerative diseases:
- Rheumatoid arthritis.
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Muscular dystrophy.
- Multiple sclerosis.
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS).
- Essential tremor.
- Loss of consciousness and syncope: Card renewal will be strictly prohibited for patients who have experienced a loss of consciousness within the last year.
- Cardiovascular events: the person will have to wait six months to renew the card.
- Epileptic seizures: as long as there is a favorable medical conclusion, the patient can renew the card even if he has suffered a transient ischemic attack or an epileptic seizure. The validity period of the driving license will be from 1 to 10 years for chronic epilepsy.
- Oncological diseases: if there are no diseases and no active treatment is carried out, the renewal can be between 1 and 5 years.
- Oncohematological diseases: in the absence of serious changes, the patient can renew his card three months after remission of the disease, but the authorization will be valid for one year. On the contrary, those who have suffered from these diseases will have to wait 10 years after their reduction.
In the event that the police stop someone who does not have a favorable medical clearance, the person may be ordered to pay a financial penalty of up to 6000 euros.
If the driver has a license that has not been renewed due to illness, the fine will be 200 euros. This offense would be equivalent to driving with an expired and invalid licence, so you can get a 50% discount by paying it in the voluntary period.